[Sca-cooks] pie crust was what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 15:14:16 PST 2004

--- David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> cailte asked:
>
> >speaking of pastry and pie crust.... i am about to do 700 small
> >salmon pasties. has anyone made pie crust in a food processor?  how
> >do you do it, and does it work well?
>
> It is how I usually do it, and yes, it works well, giving me the same
> results as if I do it by hand. I use the food processor to cut the
> butter into the flour, then dump into a bowl and mix the water in by
> hand. In fact, I posted my description of doing it to this list a
> week or two ago--I'll repeat that post at the bottom of this.

This is a much faster way to do the pie crust, and if you have a plastic blade attachment for your
food processor, you can even mix the pastry to completion in it.  Place all of your liquid into
the bowl at one time, and mix only until the mass comes together, and not a moment longer.  If you
drizzle the liquid in, or add it in batches, you'll overmix the dough, so make sure your recipe is
accurate.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.