New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 01:36:01 PST 2004

Thanks again Phlip.  Never had a problem with honesty (or laziness).  Have had horrible problems feeding family.  Some can be real fusspots to feed.  I don't allow obviously non-period foods in my personal encampment.  No chocolate.  No potato chips, junk food, etc.  No exceptions.  And, I always make a distinction as to what is proper SCA food vs. real period food.

SCA food, to me, is food that reasonably might have been, not chocolate cheesecake, but I could believe some sort of spiced cheese or cheeseball type product or the as yet undocumented stuffed grapeleaves.  It makes a distinction between making an attempt and doing real research and period work (in order to give proper homage to those of you who do that sort of thing).  Personal opinion is everyone in the Society should make an attempt.

Served a stew last war with potatoes and corn in it for the 1st time since I have been in the SCA.  Just my lord & I, informal late night, but felt dirty some how....

Samrah

Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

But don't be dishonest about it, or lazy, and pretend something
is what it isn't. If you're going to try to break the barriers, break the
barriers in your own abilities Medieval foods are perfectly fine as they
are.

Saint Phlip,
CoD