New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 19:13:21 PST 2004

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> I think there are two camps in the SCA... those who believe that the
> only 'serious' cookery is the
>
>ceremonial reproduction (and re-reproduction) of extant period recipes...and those who like to
>experiment a little with it, as well.  I think there is plenty of room in the SCA for both camps,
>but I think they need tolearn to respect one another.

I don't think that there is a problem with what you described...taking
period techniques and ingredients and coming up with something that
"might have been."  However, I think what most folks don't like is when
such creations are presented as being period dishes.  If it is something
that is of this nature, it should be presented as such...even if a
period recipe has been used and substitutions have been made, those
substitutions should be pointed out in the documentation.

Kiri