New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 07:51:25 PST 2004

--- Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

>> Medieval cuisine is a specialized cuisine, just as Italian, French, Thai,
> Japanese, and many other cuisines which are seperated from us by space,
> rather than by time, are. In order to learn it, you need to do the same
> things you'd do learning any of the others- study the recipes, make them,
> understand the peculiar techniques, not only of heating, but of spicing that
> makes it distinctly Medieval, rather than modern American.

The term 'medieval cuisine' is misleading.  There was no single cuisine of the middle ages, and
the authors of many of these books were from different cultural backgrounds.  When you use the
term 'distinctly medieval', what do you mean?  Distinctly medieval Britain?  Disctinctly Medieval
France?  Rome?  Greece? The Middle East?  Even between these few cultures, there were wide, wide
differences, both in techniques and ingredients.

WdG

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.