[Sca-cooks] Earthapples

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Tue Nov 16 11:47:58 PST 2004

Greetings,

Bear wrote:
> The first recipes for Kartoffel appear in the last decade of the 16th
> Century and the beginning of the 17th Century.  It is worth noting that
the
> white potato which came into common use isn't the High Andean white potato
> which originally came to Europe, but a Chilean variety better suited to
> planting in temperate climates apparently first imported to Europe in the
> late 18th Century.

Could it be that the word Kartoffel (~truffle) was in fact some sort of
propaganda to get the prussish farmes to plant it? AFAIK, the term Kartoffel
originated neither in southern Germany (Erdapfel) nor in western Germany
(Grundbirne). And some prussish King (I guess Friedrich II) really wanted to
have potatoes in Prussia.
Just some thought; I don't want to contradict the learned Bear :-)
kai

--
Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! or he will not slay Thee in Thy
turn, but bear Thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, where Thy flesh shall

Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Top-Spielfilme auf DVD
++ Jetzt kostenlos testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++