[Sca-cooks] Rue Substitute?

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 20:07:44 PST 2004

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> A friend is making an Apician recipe, Aliter Dulcis (Book 7, Section
> 13, Recipe 5), which uses pine nuts, honey, rue, milk, passum, and
> eggs.
>
> She doesn't have rue. In his book on Apicius, Jonathan Edwards
> suggests rosemary as a substitute for rue, but i'm skeptical of this.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute for rue?

Personal opinion only:  If the friend is making this dish for consumption by others (especially
women), I would suggest not using rue EVEN IF it can be found.  Rue, If I remember correctly, is a
natural abortificant.  Not sure about the quantity needed, but I would not be willing to use it if
'women of age' were going to be feasting.  Agian, personal opinion only.

On the other hand, I have used rue for a few dishes when I knew my guests were not pregnant, and
the closest substitution I could think of is Marjoram.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.