[Sca-cooks] Pressure cooking

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 01:19:50 PST 2004

According to the Oxford Companion to Food, the
inventor of the pressure cooker was Denys Papin
(1647-1712), but that the first practical
applications were developed in the 20th Century.
The pressure cooker is a large pot with a
sealed metal lid and a pressure valve in the
middle of it, which you have to release slowly
after your meal is cooked.  You cannot just open
up the pot or it will explode and you will
scald yourself and your food will have to be
scrapped off the floor, walls and ceiling.
Pressure cookers are very dangerous.

Putting a crust over a pot and putting the
chicken on something to raise if off from
the pot sound more like a steamer than a
pressure cooker.  The crust is porous and
wouldn't allow the pressure inside the pot
to build up.  But it would keep the steam
from escaping.  Try making a pie without
vent hole and see what happens.  It doesn't
explode, but it will leak all over the oven.

Huette

--- Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com>

=====
shall never cease to be amused.