New World Foods- was Re: [Sca-cooks] Earthapples eyc

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 06:36:51 PST 2004

>Cadoc> What would you do if someone plopped down 20 pounds of ostrich meat
> and said "here, you need to make something of this that is good."?

Greetings,

My personal answer would be to pulll out my copies of Hildegard von
Biegan (sp?) and Rumpoldt. Both of which have references to cooking
Ostrich. I have not yet translated that part of Rumpoldt, but I can
read enough of it to pick out the words boil or roast, and the names
of spices.

Barring that, knowing that these are German sources I would substitute
Ostrich for another bird in a German dish that I already know well.
Which is what I believe was being discussed in the first place.

When new world foods were introduced to the Europeans I believe that
they would not have invented entirely new ways to cook them. They
would have used their existing techniques and recipies and started
experimenting. For evidence you can look to Rumpoldt's chapter on
Turkey, in it he tells you to make Blancmange out of the Turkey
Breast, or Dumplings (meatballs) as you do with other meats etc...

I agree that "food fashioned in a period style" sounds good!

Glad Tidings,

--Serena da Riva