[Sca-cooks] Rue Substitute?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 17 11:41:18 PST 2004

> Personal opinion only:  If the friend is making this dish for consumption by others (especially
> women), I would suggest not using rue EVEN IF it can be found.  Rue, If I remember correctly, is a
> natural abortificant.  Not sure about the quantity needed, but I would not be willing to use it if
> 'women of age' were going to be feasting.  Agian, personal opinion only.

Actually, Oil of rue is an abortifacent. I would avoid using rue in a
dish you would share with strangers, and I would warn anyone that there
is rue in the dish. Small quantities of rue, ingested, haven't hurt me
that I've been able to tell, but in the US it is considered unsafe to
use. Fresh rue can also cause a dermatological reaction in those with
sensitivity.

see also:
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Ruta_gra.html

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The toad beneath the harrow knows/exactly where each tooth-point goes,
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."
			- Rudyard Kipling