[Sca-cooks] Smoking

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:33:49 PST 2004

Well, I'd never smoked anything before, so the entire procedure was a new experience for me.  We used "found wood" (i.e., deadfall from the local trees) and charcoal for our smoke, and turned the sausages every half hour or so.  There was water in the bottom of the smoker, as well, which not only provided steam, it also caught any drippings.  The heat wasn't that high; Master A used bare hands to turn the sausages, and we put the top layer of sausage on the bottom, and the bottom on top, once.  We didn't have the time to smoke them a full 8 hours, but they smelled wonderful after about 4 or 5 hours.  We didn't try any; they're for an event this weekend.  We have three varieties of fresh sausage (nothing dried and preserved in that fashion) for a German-themed event.  They're all currently residing in my freezer right now (the advantage of owning one's own house), so I'll be responsible for getting them there on Saturday.
Cleanup was interesting; we drained the water-fat mix into a garbage bag (into kitty litter, to absorb it), and the mess wasn't as bad as Master A had feared it would be.
I think I could do it again, if I had to, and will probably try.  How many sausage recipes have "and hang in the back of the chimney, away from the smoke, to dry"?  I know I've seen several.

Regards,
Brekke