[Sca-cooks] Rosemary & Licorice (was Rue Substitute / Abortificants)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 22:56:05 PST 2004

I hadn't heard about rosemary being on anybody's particular "hit list", except the essential oil is forbotten for epileptics--can cause seizures.

The biggie for blood pressure is licorice (not anise or licorice flavorings).  It is found in most herbal tea blends, like Red Zinger.  You do not even have enough licorice to taste to increase the BP so please check your labels.  Good n' Plenty candies are out.  Most gum drops seem to use artificial flavoring (perhaps even anise) so they seem to be OK.

Samrah

Anne <juliane.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
I have read that rosemary (fresh, dried, or essential oil) can cause
spikes in blood pressure, and people with hypertension should avoid
this.

Juliane Rose

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:15:40 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
wrote:

> --- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>
> > Actually, Oil of rue is an abortifacent. I would avoid using rue in a
> > dish you would share with strangers, and I would warn anyone that there
> > is rue in the dish. Small quantities of rue, ingested, haven't hurt me
> > that I've been able to tell, but in the US it is considered unsafe to
> > use. Fresh rue can also cause a dermatological reaction in those with
> > sensitivity.
>
> I have also heard that Pennyroyal, and in certain (unknown to me) quantities, nutmeg have also
> been known to produce spontaneous abortions in pregnant women.
>
> This bit of information is from the A.G.O.R.A. (Aromatherapy Global Online Research Archives), in
> the section on 'Aromatherapy and the Treatment of the Reproductive System':
>
> "Abortificants
> Carrot Seed
>
> Abortificants
> Juniper
> Juniperus communis
>
> Abortificants
> Marjoram
> Origanum majorana
>
> Abortificants
> Mugwort
> Artemisia herba alba
>
> Abortificants
> Pennyroyal
> Hedeoma pulegioides or Mentha pulegiumv
>
> Abortificants
> Sage
> Salvia officinalis"
>
> The following is from http://www.sisterzeus.com/Abortif.htm
>
> "Angelica/Dong Quai a uterine stimulant with the ability to strengthen and coordinate
> contractions, to help encourage the uterus to expel it's contents. Follow the link for more
> information.
>
> Black Cohosh to help the cervix relax and open. Many herbalists and midwives say it has the
> ability to "ripen the cervix" in preparation for childbirth. Follow the link for more information.
>
> Blue Cohosh a uterine stimulant. With unique properties that encourage the uterus to contract.
> Susun Weed favors it either before menstruation is due, or at 5-6 weeks of pregnancy. Shouldn't be
> combined with Blue Cohosh. Follow the link for more information.
>
> Cotton Root Bark should be used as a simple (by itself). Interferes with progesterone, and the
> corpus luteum. Stimulates uterine contractions. Chinese research supports these findings. Follow
> the link for more information.
>
> Evening Primrose (Oenothera hookeri) may be helpful when used externally to help "ripen the
> cervix", this phrase is often used during the birthing process to refer to the condition of the
> cervix, the cervix has to dialate to allow a newborn to pass, if the cervix is not ready, midwifes
> has herbs they can use to help encourage the cervix to get ready. Things happen a bit differently
> in a herbal abortion or miscarriage, the cervix won't dialate the way it does during birth, but
> [...]

When nothing is sure, everything is possible.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!!!