[Sca-cooks] Re: Accuracy of Herbals (was rue, etc.)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 00:57:10 PST 2004

--- Samrah <auntie_samrah at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >I'd say the same applies to at least some modern herbals. I've seen
> >books suggesting self-treatment of heart conditions with digitalis...
>
> >/UlfR
>
> That's terrifying!  I have a couple of good ones I trust, and compare others to, but I have
> never seen that.
> Samrah (turning more than a bit pale)

The same applies to any modern or period manuscript or book.  Unless there is hard science to back
up the claims and contentions of an author, the information must be taken with a grain (or two) of
salt.  Even our precious 'period cookbooks' have been proven wrong on numerous occassions.  And,
modern authors are no different than period authors.  "Experts" are generally self-proclaimed...
and rarely authentic when it comes down to brass tacks.

Or, I'm drunk.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.