[Sca-cooks] Absinthe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 18 03:40:31 PST 2004

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>--- Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>  If you want to have some of the absinthe ritual experience without
>>the worries of thujone, try
>>  Pernod (which is absinthe without the wormwood). Do as the old men
>>in "A Year in Provence" do,
>>  put the sugar cube on a slotted spoon suspended above your glass,
>>and slowly pour the water
>>  through the spoon until the sugar dissolves.
>

>Pernod used to contain wormwood, and is an entirely different
>beverage than Absinthe.  In the
>U.S., Pernod no longer contains wormwood, and will give you none of
>the same effects.
>
>William de Grandfort

Maybe it's a case of distant evolution, but I have to agree. While
Pernod may once have contained wormwood, and have been created by an
absinthe manufacturer, it's not really bitter, it's not green, and
it's fairly sweet without added sugar (at least the Pernod I've had
has been). I can't imagine anyone really wanting to add sugar to it.

Besides, Real Provencale Men (tm) drink Pastis Ricard -- the
fennel-flavored version of Pernod...

Adamantius (who uses Pastis Ricard for Bouillabaise)

Holt, 07/29/04

"Who cares what you think? ...Wait! Who do write for? Who sent you?
Who do you write for???"
	-- The President of the United States, 07/04/01