[Sca-cooks] Sekanjabin Origins now vinegar

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Thu Nov 18 04:47:06 PST 2004

Elewyiss wrote:
>>I don't suppose  you know of a period cookbook with an actual recipe for
>>vinegar? I'm still having trouble documenting it.

to which Elizabeth or David replied:
>You want a recipe for vinegar? Vinegar normally shows up as an ingredient.

Channeling the author (Douglas Adams?) who said "flying is the art of
falling on the ground and missing," vinegar is basically failed wine;
literally "vin aigre", or sour wine.  More precisely, wine is
normally fermented in the presence of very little oxygen, so the
yeast is forced into its anaerobic metabolic mode, which produces
alcohol as a waste product; in the presence of oxygen, the yeast
prefers a more efficient aerobic metabolic mode that produces acetic
acid instead.

Does that sound right?  (I'm not a brewer....)

Anyway, I suspect that every human society that's ever made a
fermented beverage has had a corresponding vinegar.
--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu