[Sca-cooks] OP - fish question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 18 06:45:18 PST 2004

Also sprach Sandra Kisner:
>It's a long story, but I've ended up with a can of fried dace ("with
>salted black beans and pepper"), Eagle Coin brand.  Most of the
>writing on the can is in Chinese, and I have no idea whatsoever what
>to do with it.  Any suggestions?
>
>Sandra

Place the contents of the can in a small heatproof dish, steam a pot
of rice, place the dish on top of the rice as it finishes steaming.
This assumes you're doing the kind of Chinese rice cookery in which
the rice is washed and placed in a pot with enough water to cover by
a depth of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, boiled hard until the water is
evaporated and the rice just starts to crackle like Rice Krispies,
the rice is stirred lightly, then the pot is covered and the heat
reduced to bare minimum, where it will steam in its own residual
moisture for 20-30 minutes. You'd put the dish of fish on top of it
after the boiling, just before you cover the pot.

Serve the rice in bowls, eat the fish with chopsticks. You may want
to remove some of the larger bones, but as with sardines, they're
edible. There'll probably also be some oil in the can; you probably
don't need to be too scrupulous about getting rid of it.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04

"Who cares what you think? ...Wait! Who do write for? Who sent you?
Who do you write for???"
	-- The President of the United States, 07/04/01