[Sca-cooks] Smoking

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Nov 18 09:57:13 PST 2004

Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:
>Carol Eskesen Smith wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>  We used "found wood" (i.e., deadfall from the local
>>  trees) and charcoal for our smoke,
>
>I hope everyone knows that "pressure treated" types of
>wood MUST NOT be used for anything as they contain
>pesticides and/or arsenic.
>
>In addition, I expect that some deadfall wood contains
>fungus and is likely to affect the taste of the meat.

I'm sure some deadfall wood probably does contain a variety of
undesirable flora and fauna.

What happened was that I realized I had no wood chips for smoking,
except a small bag of brewer's oak chips, which I didn't want to use.
When I arrived at Brekke's place, we had the option of either going
out to someplace like the Home Depot and getting something
appropriate, or at least looking at her supply of scrap branches and
twigs in her back yard. Most of them were oak and maple, and I think
a few chestnut branches. No pine, no rotten wood, nothing painted,
pressure-treated, etc., so we used them. I broke them up into fairly
small pieces, and had there been a lot of fungus or insects I assume
I'd have spotted them.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04

"Who cares what you think? ...Wait! Who do write for? Who sent you?
Who do you write for???"
	-- The President of the United States, 07/04/01