[Sca-cooks] Sekanjabin Origins

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Nov 18 09:49:13 PST 2004

Except that the chapter doesn't identify the other drinks as
"sekanjabin." And many of the drinks don't have vinegar, and so are
not oxymels either. I think an old discussion on this list concluded
that "jalab" was the proper generic term for such drinnks, but I'm
not sure.

>There's a whole darned chapter of the Anon. Andalusian with some
>very odd flavorings for sekanjabin or oxymel (like carrot), so it's
>not really an SCAism, although specific occurences might be.
>I can't, personally, imagine wanting to put any of the varieties in
>milk <<huge shudder>>, or use as a dip--wrong flavors!
>--maire, who's sometimes thought of doing a whole bunch of different
>flavors for an A&S entry....
>
>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>

>>Part Two
>>
>>Someone answered the above message by saying:
>>
>>>  A slight correction - Sekanjabin does not mean Mint.  It means a
>>>  sugar/vinegar syrup. It may be flavored with mint, or cardamom, or ginger,
>>>  or strawberry, or anything else.  It is sometimes mixed with
>>>water to drink,
>>>  sometimes milk, and sometimes left alone as a salad dip/dressing.
>>>  I got my recipes from doing a search on the word sekanjabin on Google.
>>>  After seeing that all the recipes were variations fo the same technique, I
>>>  branched out on my own.  I have no idea where you'd get a copy of an
>>>  original recipe.  Ask Cariadoc is all I can think of.
>>

>>To the best of my knowledge, the basic sweet (originally honey) and
>>vinegar mixture used diluted with water as a beverage is called
>>oxymel (from the Greek for vinegar and honey) and was known to the
>>ancient Greeks and Romans (who also called it oxymel since they
>>used a lot of Greek food terms).
>>
>>  From what i can tell, many, if not most, of other flavored recipes
>>are SCAisms. While sekanjabin is a kind of oxymel, not all oxymels
>>are sekanjabin.
>>
>>And, uh, i've never heard of mixing an oxymel with milk - i'd think
>>that would curdle the milk. Or am i wrong?

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com