[Sca-cooks] Sekanjabin Origins now vinegar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 18 11:11:49 PST 2004

>I don't suppose  you know of a period cookbook with an actual recipe for
>vinegar? I'm still having trouble documenting it.
>
>Elewyiss

I judge cooking competitions with some frequency. I am often
surprised and find it odd when someone includes a recipe from a
specific time and place, and then feels it necessary to "document"
every ingredient, as if one needs to prove the existence of all the
ingredients in the recipe.

I've seen this in A&S entries too. A person presents a particular
object based on an actual known piece - say, weaving - and then
includes a page documenting the history of the skill - as if they
need to prove that weaving existed in the 13th century - because it's
existence might be doubted by a judge? (and, no they weren't
documenting a specific type of weaving, just weaving in general.)

Is all this side-documenting of ingredients, or even the very
technique, a requirement in some kingdoms?

Anahita
who hasn't felt the need to document the existence of fire or salt