[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 18 18:08:15 PST 2004

>  Many A+S judges may not be familiar with the craft on
> display, so an artisan may feel compelled to
> overdocument as a prophylactic measure.

And then you have the judges who know you're wrong, despite the fact you can
prove otherwise.

>  Most craftsmen are unwilling to put in the effort of
> creation only to be knocked down points for lacking
> documentation, so we will put in information which
> might be considered overkill.

One of the problems I have found with documentation (and research papers) is
the author adds tidbits that may be a nice rhetorical touch, but add nothing
to the main thrust of their writing.  It is especially irritating when their
throwaway information or their interpretation of the information is wrong
and I spot it, because it makes me question the validity of the rest of the
document until I can verify the work.

>  It may seem silly, but I'm not in the mood to lose
> out because I didn't include something I think is
> obvious, because someone else didn't.
>
>  AEsa

I competed for a few years and got bored with winning and losing based on
how people liked my work rather than on its accuracy or quality.  I went to
researching and teaching, which to me, is more fun.  And I do the occasional
feast to show off.

Bear