[Sca-cooks] idiots

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 16:55:41 PST 2004

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> >Per Shakespeare: "Neither a borrower nor a
> lender
> >be."
>
> I don't think Shakespeare was speaking of
> depreciable assets.

No, he wasn't.  But it seemed appropriate when
I wrote it.

I do loan out my equipment to people I know
and trust.  And occasionally stuff comes back
ruined.  But in almost every incident, the
borrowers offered to replace it.  I always tell
them that it is okay, that it isn't necessary.
In my humble opinion, to offer replacement is
the only honorable way.  With the one person
who didn't offer replacement, I have crossed
that person off my list and I will never loan
anything to that person again.

The two main reasons I have my own equipment in
such large quantities is because I hate to be
dependent on someone else's charity and a banquet
I did where the church initially said I could
use their equipment, but on the day of the
banquet decided that it wasn't in their best
interests to let us use them.  I, fortunately,
am a long standing member of a church with a
well equipped kitchen.  I was able to drive
home and borrow my churches equipment and still
had enough time to present the banquet at the
published time.

Many years ago, at a pot luck Christmas party
for my work, I was put in charge of heating
up all the hot casseroles using the only heating
source in the building, a microwave oven.  I
had no problems with most of the dishs, but
the last one, a Corningware casserole dish filled
with enchiladas, was a problem.  There was grease
all over the glass handles.  I tried to wash
the handles before nuking the dish, but when
it was finished heating the handles again were
awash with grease.  Despite my use of pot
holders,
the greasy dish slipped from my hands and fell
to the floor and shattered.  The lady who made
the dish was upset and started screaming at me.
I apologized for the accident and promised her
that I would replace the casserole.  This was
on a Friday.  During the weekend, I went and
purchased another for her and presented it to
her the first thing Monday morning.  I didn't
care that the whole thing was an accident.  It
was the only honorable thing that I could do.
Six months later, the lady came up to me and
said that she felt bad about making me buy her
a new casserole and tried to pay me for it.
But I refused the payment telling her that
it wasn't necessary.  I was doing only what
I felt was the right thing to do.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.