[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Nov 19 18:05:26 PST 2004

Bill Fisher wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:02:51 -0500, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa /
> Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > *shrug* It's certainly possible to explain one's
> > documentation in persona in many cases, by simply stating
> > your sources. I more or less did this with my Poliudie
> > menu, and I'll be doing it when I write the 'period
> > treatise' for the Laurel Prize in March (because it's
> > absolutely period to reference the authorities!)

Agreed, very period ...

I read in ...

Gimpel, Jean; "Medieval Machine: the Industrial Revolution
of the Middle Ages"; 1976, pub. Penguin, ISBN 0-14-004514-7

In chapter 7, the Gimpel writes of "the spirit of
inventiveness"  ...

    "The spirit of inventiveness that accompanied this
    outlook was only possible because medieval society
    believed in progress, a concept unknown by the
    classical world.  Medieval men refused to be tied
    down by tradition.

    As Gilbert de Tournai wrote: "Never will we find
    truth if we content ourselves with what is already
    known . . . These things that have been written
    before us are not laws but guides.  The truth is
    open to all, for it is not totally possessed.

    And Bernard, Master of the episcopal school at
    Chartres from 1114 to 1118, said "We are as
    dwarfs mounted on the shoulders of giants, so
    that although we perceive many more things than
    they, it is not because our vision is more
    piercing or our stature higher, but because we
    are carried and elevated higher thanks to their
    gigantic size."

    In Chartres study of the seven liberal arts, the
    trivium -- grammar, rhetoric, dialectic -- had
    priority, but study of the quadrivium -- geometry,
    arithmetic, music, and astronomy -- was also
    considered essential.

    It is a remarkable fact that at the instigation
    of the Cathedral School of Chartres, the seven
    liberal arts were carved in stone, personified
    and holding their attributes, on the Royal Portal
    of the Cathedral.

Imagine that, "carved in stone"

> > "I got this recipe from a Spanish chap called de Nola"...
> >
> > But then, I'm Polish, and all Polish people of
> > significance in period spoke Latin. Obviously you must
> > be speaking Latin too.
> >
> > --
>>  Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

> True, true, but there is just no way a 10th C Irishman
> is going to know about things after his period.  *shrugs*

Some have said that the Tuatha de Danaan are able to part
the mists and veils between the worlds ... that they are
able to travel to lands and times other than ours.
Perhaps you or one in your line gave aid to such a gifted
one, and he in return, foretold what might come to pass.

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick