[Sca-cooks] Re: Pumpkins (was Not the place for Political )

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 20 01:03:03 PST 2004

A couple of you have mentioned doing pumpkin pies from scratch.  My mom did one years ago, and it turned out rather bland.  I believe she just popped 'em in the oven & baked them first.  I have heard that there is a specific variety of pumpkin that is appropriate for baking rather than carving, and after mom's experience, have never tried the scratch thing again.

Are you having good luck with 'em?  Is there a specific sort of pumpkin to look for either in the grocery or in seeds for the garden?

Thanks,
Samrah

"Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:
At 11:36 PM 11/19/2004, you wrote:

>When last year's pumpkin with Harry Potter's face carved in him finally
succumbed to the sagging mold, we threw it in the compost heap. So this
year there were volunteers! I got two off of the vine- one about the size
of a basketball, the other about a soccer ball. They are named Ron and
Hermione. :-) Sometime this weekend I'll cook them down so we can have
non-canned pumpkin pies. Of course the gooshy insides will go back out to
the compost- maybe next year we'll cook the Creevy boys! (sounds kinda
sick, don't it?)

'Lainie