[Sca-cooks] Pressure cooking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 15:38:07 PST 2004

Vincenzo mentioned:
> > I have just found the pot and it is aluminum.
> > It is definitely getting tossed now.
>
> Gee, that's too bad ... as I recall, Aluminum was quite expensive in
> period.
I'm not sure aluminum was even known in period. It is a very common
element but it is extremely difficult to extract the pure form from a
compound. It was in fact very expensive until the late 19th century.
This is the reason that the Washington Monument in Washington D.C. is
capped with aluminum. At the time it was more expensive than gold.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com