[Sca-cooks] Overdocumentation with food content

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Nov 20 22:43:33 PST 2004

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Well, there are a bunch of different issues now in this
> thread and i won't address them all. Note, there is a
> RECIPE at the end of thismessage :-)

I'm impressed ... that's an excellent way to entice us into
reading the message in its entirety.

[snip]

> As for "authenticity N*z*s" - i *_hate_* that term. I
> find it really  deeply disturbing. I believe the people
> using it have no idea what the N*z*s actually did.

[snip]

> Why not just call them what they are? Rude!

When I first attended SCA meetings, I was advised that
whenever approached by the "Period Police", pictures
should be taken -- for the Wanted! posters.

[snip]

> And persona?

When I was employed as a Senior Manager at a Big 5 Accounting
firm in the mid 1990's and before finding the SCA, one of the
partners in our group gave me an odd directive.

He insisted that I promise to, " .. never come to work in
Renaissance costume!"  He was not an old fogey, he was 10
to 15 years *younger* than me.

Even with my active, creative mind, that kind of dress code error
had never occurred to me ... and said so.  He
persisted, and I responded, "It is more unlikely for me to
come to work in Renaissance garb as it would be for me to
go to a Renaissance Faire in a business suit ... where my
friends might see me!"  (See me and laugh!, that is!)

He went on to disavow ever (past or future) wearing a
costume.  When I asked if he was in a business suit for his
wedding, he answered, "Of course I wore a Tuxedo."  I said,
"You see, at a wedding -- wedding costume; at the office --
office costume; at a Renaissance Faire -- Renaissance
costume."  I was also trying to loose the distinction
between costume and clothing -- and that didn't sink in
either.

I never did find out what triggered that strange interchange
-- unless it was that department Halloween party several
years earlier (if so, why wait so long?) where I was well
dressed in a Moresca doublet, a lacy 18th C. shirt, black
Danskins Dancewear as hose, gray suede boots.  (If anyone
needs to ask a kilt-like question, I'll answer that off-list)

I don't know ... maybe he was a Muggle before his time!

[snip]

> I spent a long time as a Ren Fair actor, and i know how
> off-putting being in persona could be to paying customers
> who thought i was either very weird or crazy or both (what
> the heck were they expecting?).

One season of the NY Renaissance Faire, I was hanging out
at the Moresca booth ... another Rennie came by to tell us
that she had overheard two patrons, "I'm so disappointed,
they're all nothing but actors!"  Lena Dun (owner of Moresca)
observed, "What on Earth did they expect, 400 Year old
Englishmen?"

[snip]

All that I can say is, "Thank the epowers that we understand
each other!"

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick