[Sca-cooks] Celebrity Chef???

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Nov 21 06:30:55 PST 2004

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>I'm watching CBS' Sunday morning, and they will, in a few minutes,
>be doing a segment on what they term "the World's First Celebrity
>Chef."  They claim that Napoleon's chef was this.  I can't help but
>wonder what de Nola, Martino and Chiquart were, then...chopped
>liver????
>
>Any opinions?
>
>Kiri

They were all great chefs in an age before real mass communications,
and therefore, while great, probably not celebrities in any modern
sense of the word.

See if you can get this great chef's name: I'd have thought Careme,
who was just a little later than Napoleon, who wrote extensively
about kitchen organization, began the process of codifying French
haute cuisine, which process was more or less completed by Escoffier
almost a century later, and whose services were much and
competitively sought after by both royalty and the fabulously
wealthy, would qualify him as the first celebrity chef in the modern
sense.

And then there's Alexis Soyer, author of, among other works, the
Pantropheon, who was the nineteenth century's answer to Bobby Flay.
Now _there_ was a celebrity chef. Now if only he could cook...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, eat brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04