[Sca-cooks] Historic Cheesecake in the papers this past week

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Mon Nov 22 15:24:47 PST 2004

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

Actually ...

	O.E.	Old English	 700 - 1100
	M.E.	Middle English	1100 - 1500
	Mod. E.	Modern English	1500 - 1900

Quoted from: Alexander, Henry; "The Story of Our Language";
Dolphin Books Edition; 1962; ISBN: none

> >Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
> >Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
> >
> I will admit, Tanarian and I share a bit of an attitude
> about people who misuse technical terms with a very
> specific meaning.  Possibly we can be elitist snots at
> times.  He clearly meant "archaic" and should have said
> so.

Aye ... and the translator was lacking in verisimilitude.

	verisimilitude \ver-uh-suh-MIL-uh-tood; -tyood\,
	noun:

	1. The appearance of truth; the quality of seeming
	   to be true.
	2. Something that has the appearance of being true
	   or real.

Quoted from dictionary.com

> Selene, not old, just archaic

"Not old, just resting."  <g>

The fact that the original author, who is clearly not a
linguist, could read it at all is because his source was
Modern English -- *not* Old English.

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick