[Sca-cooks] Oh, help help!!! Firefox v. IE

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 05:36:18 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:06:17 +0100, Anne <juliane.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you everyone, again.  What a *great* crowd you all are!
>
> No, the BS of Death came from my Windows 98 ... yes, I know -- ick.
> :(    New computer is on the list, just not in the top 5 right now.
>
> I do have Ad Aware (good stuff, there!)  and the Google toolbar is in
> place, busily blocking popups.  I will get those other recommendations
> operative, too.
>
> I appreciate the help!
> Anne

Firefox has a built in pop-up blocker.    If you installed a peice of
software and it causes you a problem, I would suggest removing it.

Adaware and Spybot usually see each other as spyware, since they
are in competition with each other.

If you have had the computer for a while and it has been a long time
since Win98 has been re-installed, things like this can happen.
I won't go into details, but there are parts of the OS that handle installations
that can go wonky on you after a while, dependng on how all the other
applications play by Microsoft's rules.

In either case, I recommend removing the offending peice of software
from the machine. Since you can't remove IE.

This is a universal recommendation I make to anyone who owns a
computer:  Check out your local community college and see if they
have a "boot camp" style class for educating new computer buyers
and/or users available to the community, often times they are free.

They can teach you a lot about how to maintain and do basic
troubleshooting on your computer.

Also, you are coming up on the best time to shop for a computer...
post christmas ;-) the deals should be out in force this year with
the sluggish economy.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson