Cholesterol- was- Re: [Sca-cooks] Maybe It Is Rocket Science: Bread

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 23 08:24:58 PST 2004

Greetings!

I am going to concur with Flip here. I am on Lipitor myself, and have some
bad genetics. (My brother, 3 years olders, has already had two heart
attacks, as did my dad, my aunt, my...) I have had the great benefit of
being under the care of some excellent doctors and cardiologists. Being
the youngest, and paying attention, I have tried to be proactive, so far,
so good. Anyway, according to the folks helping me, only about 20% or less
of the population is even effected by dietary cholesterol. Fats are a much
bigger issue. I have actually found several items, that reduce
cholesterol, but increase fat. Not good.

But fat is also an important part of your diet. I went into a "no fat"
craze back in the early 90's and caused myself some serious health side
effects. I am probably one of the few people who have had a cardiologist
and MD recommend an increase in fat intake. Apparently, fat is a necessary
component in the good health of your nerve tissue. Ooops! My problem is
getting enough aerobic exercise to keep in good shape. So, I am 25 pounds
overweight and that is the risk.

When I asked my doctors about a good diet, all of them handed me the
current version of the FDA food pyramid. When I asked about Atkins, my
caridologist offered to kill me himself to save time. "Any diet that
suggests pork rinds are better for you that carrots is ridiculous" was the
quote. Though I have never been convinced that such a claim is true of the
low-carb diets, what is on most menus as low-carb, or Atkins friendly, is
usually about the worst thing on the menu for someone concerned about
cardiovascular health.

Anyway, on a diet with a foundation in grains, vegetables, and fruit (not
vegetarian), eating in moderation, and keeping my fat intake in the range
of 20% of my calories, I dropped from 255 to 220 over a space of two years
and have stayed at this weight for the last nine years. I also dropped my
cholesterol from 465 to 280 with this diet and then went on Lipitor to
drop farther and work on the balance of good and bad cholesterol. I need
to start exercising regularly to get down to 200. I cook with butter, but
use lower-fat, 0 trans fat, spreads for putting on bread or such. I do
avoid fried foods most of the time, but that is just part of the balancing
act.If I really want them, I have them, and just adjust the balance as the
week goes on.

There are many things that can effect what will be a good diet for an
individual: allergies, diabetes, lactose intolerance, religion, cultural
bias, etc. So, my personal take.. develop a diet that fits into your
health needs as well as your lifestyle. One that is fulfilling and does
not leave you feeling short-changed by life. And remember, it is your
diet, not anyone elses.

Aoghann.