[Sca-cooks] FWD: November 2004 MK Cook's Challenge

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:32:46 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:18:50 -0500, Gaylin Walli <iasmin at comcast.net> wrote:
 ---------
> The Challenge
>
> What do you cook? The money is slim, but the theme is grand and
> celebratory. Your group has agreed to do that feast if only because it
> is the perfect way for the SCA to give a little something back to the
> community that has supported them for so long. How do you manage the
> opulence they hope for on such a limited budget? What ideas do you
> have? What assumptions do you make?

First, I'd see if the school has an agricultural or culinary arts department.

If they have either of those two, you can go from there to:

   1.   See if there are any agricutural groups willing to donate goods to this
         school sponsored event.
    2.  See if there are any restaraunt supply places the school works with
         that can donate goods to the scool function.
    3.  Culinary students = possible kitchen help

Then I would check and see if the school is willing to handle donation
receipts for tax write-offs, usually they have a donations department
that can handle that for you.

If they can do that, then see if there are any local businesses willing
to donate for a tax write off.

If they can't just see if there are places willing to donate the goods.

Get what you can in donations, then dig into the budget.

Since it is for a school, and public,I would  pick fairly reasonable,
but distinct
recipes that wouldn't be too threatening to the modern sense of food.

Maybe try to keep the recipes in line with the type of music the chorale
is performing to make sure the focus is on the chorale group and not
the food.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson