[Sca-cooks] candies and sweets

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 23 21:41:17 PST 2004

Aoghann asked:
> Since "candy" does not appear to be a period term, I am not sure what
> look for. Kind of like looking up a word in the dictionary when you
> don't know the word. Anyay, I am looking for nougats, boiled sugar
> candies, honey based, candied fruits, sweets with nuts, etc.
I don't have most of the Florilegium files divided by region but you
might want to check these files in the FOOD-SWEET-DECORATED section of
the Florilegium:
14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
candied-peel-msg  (52K)  6/19/04    Candied fruit peels. A late period
treat.
candy-msg        (192K) 12/27/03    Period candy. Recipes. Candied
fruit peels.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of
the
                                        candying process by Alys
Katharine.
comfits-msg       (48K)  6/18/04    Period candied spices and seeds.
Recipes.
Pynade-art        (32K) 11/24/01    "Pynade (Medieval Candy)" by Lady
Constance
                                        de LaRose.
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses
& Sugar"
                                        by Mistress Renata Kestryl of
Highwynds.
Sgr-a-Cnftns-art  (20K) 12/26/00    "Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys
                                        Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise
Fleming).
suckets-msg        (7K)  4/ 1/02    Spices, fruit or fruit peel in a
sugar syrup
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                        Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
There are more files depending upon whether you are looking just for
candied items or whether you are looking for other period sweet things
as well. I believe the word origins for the word "candy" are discussed
in the candy-msg file.
> Book references are also appreciated!
There are a number scattered throughout these files. Once you have the
titles you might also want to use the search engine (on the top page of
the Florilegium) or check the FOOD-BOOKS section to find further
reviews about these titles.

> Aoghann.
> (I will be hitting the Florillegium during Thanksgiving.)
Hopefully this will point you to some of the most helpful materials
that are there.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas