[Sca-cooks] beer, wine, whiskey, scotch in food

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Nov 25 16:33:34 PST 2004

Bill Fisher wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:21:37 -0600, Stefan li Rous
> <stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > Cadoc commented:

[snip]

> From some reading on it Uisge Beatha, the predecessor to
> modern Irish Whiskey and Scotch, was around for centuries,
> it has today.  Also. from the level of skill it took to
> create it, it seems to have been used medicinally.

That is not surprising since 'Uisge Beatha' means 'Water of
Life' -- at least that's what I was told.

> (taken from http://www.celtic-whisky.com/histrya.htm )
> In his "Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland"
> published in 1577, Raphael Holinshed describes as
> follows the incomparable virtues of Uisge Beatha :
>
> "Being moderately taken,
> it slows the age,
> it cuts phlegm,
> it lightens the mind,
> it quickens the spirit,
> it cures the dropsy,
> it heals the strangulation,
> it pounces the stone,
> its repels gravel,
> it pulls away ventositie,
> it keeps and preserves the head from whirling,
> the eyes from dazzling,
> the tongue from lisping,
> the mouth from snuffling,
> the teeth from chattering,
> the throat from rattling,
> the weasan from stiffing,
> the stomach from womblying,
> the heart from swelling,
> the belly from wincing,
> the guts from rumbling,
> the hands from shivering,
> the sinews from shrinking,
> the veins from crumpling,
> the bones from aching,
> the marrow from soaking,
> and truly it is a sovereign liquor
> if it be orderly taken."
>
> A remedy definitely miraculous and most indispensable !
>
> Cadoc
> --

Thanks ... too bad it doesn't say "Improves memory."

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick