[Sca-cooks] Why...chocolate yogurt AND other yogurt thoughts

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 17:29:03 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:53:43 -0700, Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
> Me.  I do.  Like plain yogurt, or simply-flavored yogurt, that is.
> I have a huge sweet tooth, but I vastly prefer yogurts that taste like
> yogurts, and not wannabe puddings or something.
> I like vanilla, and lemon, and Brown Cow (?) maple, and yogurt with my
> own fruit in it (strawberries or huckleberries or RAzzzzzzberrries ;o),
> but that's about it unless you're talking yogurt with garlic and mint
> and cucumber (tsaziki...mmmmmmm)
> For a special treat, I like to buy whole milk yogurt.
> I should add that I also have a huge chocolate jones, but I've never,
> ever felt the urge to combine the two.  <<shudders>>
> --maire

Well, from what I can tell from looking at standard chocolate composition
(no food chemist here) there are lots of things in chocolate that would be
digestible by the beasts living in yogurt (sugars,starches, etc) that may cause
the wee beasts to produce off flavors and other nastiness.

>From what I can see, this is a long term problem, not a short term one
that the companies solve by using pasturized yogurt (billions of dead
beasties!).

I can't see chocolate yogurt though.  I would think that fruits would have
the same problem 'cept they are not made with cane sugar or corn syrup
like chocolate is.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson