[Sca-cooks] The Purple Carrot Returns and then Some

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Fri Nov 26 11:12:25 PST 2004

Carrots come in a number of colors.  White originates in Europe, dark red
originates in Central Asia.  The purple is an Asiatic carrot probably
hybridized in China.  The modern purple carrot was created by a project in
Texas to breed back to the original form.

Yellow carrots show up in Asia Minor around the 10th Century.  They and red
carrots show up in Andalusia around the 12th Century.  The modern orange
carrot is believed to be hybridized from the red and the yellow in the 16th
Century.  Scientific literature in the 17th Century identifies five orange
strains which are the strains our orange carrots derive from.

Bear