[Sca-cooks] Circles (was Period gifts in jars + question)

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sat Nov 27 00:22:18 PST 2004

>e.g. Stones of Stenness gets my attention with estimates
>of as much as 350,000 man hours to erect Stennes, Ring of
>Brodgar, and the ditch that connects the 2 sites.  I may
>always wonder how they could reallocate 350,000 man hours
>out of their food economy 4,500 to 5,000 years ago.
>(ob food comment, to 'stay' on topic  <g> )

Men haven't changed, they get together, drink some beer (OFC), and
say "I bet we could get a BIGGER stone up there!"

More seriously, this was done over time.  They didn't take 350,000
hours all in one year.  Seventy men meeting for a week, spending a
hundred hours each,  every year for fifty years... or every ten years
over 500 years would do it.  (And these numbers are completely pulled
out of the air).

Ranvaig