[Sca-cooks] Fruitcakes

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sat Nov 27 14:11:50 PST 2004

> I've had a  "rum cake" which is an english style fruitcake with rum added
> to the batter and rum added when it was served.  That was really good.

But of course. Depending on the mood I'm in, I'll either use an amber Rum,
Cognac or Brandy. Btw, you don't actually add the liquor to the cake, you
"marinade" the fruits and raisins (or whatever) for a period of time,
usually 12-48 hours. I call it getting the fruit drunk.

To avoid the "dry" situation that sometimes occurs after lengthy storage, I
pick the cake and run a little bit of the liquor of the top to soak in.
Btw, I store my cakes using cheesecloth (originally dampened with liquor),
I then wrap it in plastic wrap, then tin foil and then it's put into a tin.
I'm not sure if all of this is necessary but its the way we have always
done it. At least I know that my cake is moist, and has the shelf life of
years. Not quite the same as certain edible oil products but long
nonetheless. :)

Micaylah