[Sca-cooks] Soup suggestions

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Nov 27 19:37:44 PST 2004

Was written:

 I need a good hearty soup.  I have some ham
> {and the bone} left over from our last Shire event, but not enough
servings
> for 80 people.  I thought to use it for a soup, but I am looking for a
> different legume.  We have overdone lentils and chickpeas.  Are small navy
> beans within our period of study?  something else?

I could swear that there is another bean, about the size of a lima bean,
that is period.  It's the faval (feve) bean also called the haricot, isn't
it?  That being said alternatively you could use white or yellow peas and do
a ham variation on the Onion-Pea Soup listed on page 104 of "Early French
Cookery".   Tell everyone it's from Alsace Lorraine, i.e almost/kind
of/second cousin/low German.

Daniel