[Sca-cooks] OOP - Deep Fried Fast Food Pie

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 20:01:01 PST 2004

I remember with great fondness the "original" McDonald's apple pie.
It was this a little coffin shaped thing with crimped edges, deep
fried to a golden brown, filled with apples and starchy sugar that
melted to form a yummy sauce.  The deed fried version earned it's
"caution hot" warning; it could burn the skin off the roof of your
mouth far more effectively than any pizza.  It also came in cherry.

The modern incarnation of the Micky D's pie is a baked, bland,
tragedy, almost always served cool enough as to not incite lawsuit.
They've made strides in making the crust taste less like cardboard,
but it's still hardly worth the effort.

Anyway, I told you that to tell you this.  If you recall the deadly
deep fried thing fondly, Taco Bell seems to have resurrected it.  The
"Caramel Apple Empanada" really, really recalls to me the McDonald's
apple pie of yesteryear.

Thought I should share,

Brett / Wistan