[Sca-cooks] Secret Life of Christmas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 00:21:07 PST 2004

Cailte mentioned:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 01:04:12 -0800
>    Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Also includes some b-roll footage of Selene [just hands,
> > no interview]
> > making plum pudding and lebkuchen.  It re-airs in about
> > 1 hour here, I may
> > stay up and watch.  For several months, I've been
> > getting questions about
> > Medieval and other historical holiday practices - I want
> > to see what they did with it.
>
> speaking as a laurel, a cook, and one of those
> pre-christian religion folks, quite well, i think.  sorry
> you didn't get more air time, tho.  they could have done
> two hours with that.
Yep. I thought the amount of time devoted to the plum pudding was all
too short. I did think there were a number of new things discussed in
the plum pudding and lebkuchen segments which were new to me, even
though we've discussed both here previously.
I saw the show Friday, before I saw Selene's comments. Otherwise I'd
have looked for her hands in the show :-). I was surprised not to see
her or any other SCA folks on there and now I see that wasn't quite
true. I know it is probably just personal taste, but I find the host to
be a bit too bouncy and his humor to be a stretch at times. I guess my
preferred style is more in the way of a strict documentary. For one
thing this would allow more information to be given. :-)

> those cookie molds are gawjus.  i ordered some of master
> huen's sprengerle cookies for our midwinter hospitality
> room, but i would love a couple of those molds, boy
> howdy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The cookie mixture appeared to look very much like medieval
gingerbread. I guess I'm going to have to find out some recipes. I was
surprised that the molds were single-sided. I'm thinking it might be
nice to carve some of these molds with SCA themes but in a period
style. At one time I looked into doing woodcuts. This looks more
feasible. :-)

The wassail section also was interesting. I do wonder about drinking
from that large wooden tub, though. It seems like as the tub got
emptier you would have a big chance of the contents of the tub
including the apples (which were floating in the ale) in your lap along
with the ale. It seems more likely that you would just dip your
drinking vessel into the tub. I wonder what the basis is for thinking
you pick up the heavy tub and drink directly from it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com