[Sca-cooks] Circles (was Period gifts in jars + question)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Nov 28 05:55:43 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> indeed, here in Belgium (wich is still a lot more south then the
> uk-sites), in summer expect light from about 5/6am till 9/10pm, and on
> a farm you're working most of that time :), so my guess is that our
> forefathers would work those hours :)
>
> and as to the complaining aobut 8hour shift, that's all it is
> complaining, people have gotten used to not working a lot. If you look
> back only a 150y ago, people worked 10-12h shifts if not more.
>
> Finne

According to the anthropologists, the number of hours worked in a day or
week is directly related to the level of civilization, and the amount of
"stuph" you have to maintain. At one end of the scale you have the people
commonly known as "pygmies" who, in the forest, live a completely neolithic
lifestyle, who work perhaps 10 hours a week, and who utterly frustrate the
Negroes who have the towns nearby (and who consider the Pygmies their
slaves, but who can only get them to do something when they're in the mood),
who work perhaps 30 hours a week, compared to we "civilized" people, who put
in a 40 hour week away from home, another 5-10 hours going to and from that
job (including dressing, showering, making lunches, etc), only to come home
and do all the bits of maintenance required for their lifestyle- cleaning
house, running errands, fixing cars, repairing things, cooking dinner, child
rearing, etc. Think I'll ask Gene to redirect me to that study- think it's
pretty well-known.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.