[Sca-cooks] Circles

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 28 08:40:13 PST 2004

Since Stonehenge was assembled in the period 3000-1000 BCE, it falls into
overlap between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age.  The intial construction
was probably done with stone tools.  The second stage of construction
probably occurs after the appearance of the Beaker People.  The Beaker
People were metal workers (copper, gold and silver) and the rest of the
construction on Stonehenge was probably done with metal or metal edged
tools.  Some sources push the start of first period of construction to
almost 4000 BCE.

Since hunter/gatherers don't remained fixed enough to build great monuments,
I think that we can safely assume the initial builders were an agrarian
culture.  The primary crops would probably be oats, barley and einkorn.  The
Beaker People were pastoralists, adding at least sheep to the agrarian mix,
if they weren't already there.

Toward the end of the period, grave goods suggest there may have been trade
with the bronze using cultures in the Mediterranean and the tools may have
again improved.

Bear