[Sca-cooks] Fruitcakes in Period?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 28 19:26:05 PST 2004

AFAIK, panforte is the earliest European fruitcake with the first reference
in the 13th Century.  There are no recipes.  The modern version is honey,
spices, dried fruits and nuts with a little flour as a binding agent.  It is
similar to the later recipes for lebkuchen and gingerbread.  Pantonne is a
little later.  It's difficult to place, but from what I've been able to
find, I believe the origins are toward the end of period.  Again, no
recipes.

Bear