[Sca-cooks] Feast Report for Feast of Unicorn My first feast

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 05:23:56 PST 2004

kattratt wrote:

> My apologies that there are NO PHOTOS for this email nor for this
> event.... sorry Lady Olwen but I didn't even think about the camera
> the day of... Yes it was there.... but we were way to busy....
> So here are a couple 1000 words.....
>
> The event was Feast of Unicorn in Atlantia.  It was supposed to be a
> nice quite little event for the local group.  Not my local group mind
> you but close by and at least in the same Barony/State...And then King
> Janos got involved.... hehehe....
> He tells the autocrat oh hey btw, WE are coming to the event, and the
> PRINCE.
> Then of course the Baron and Baroness chime in that they are coming....
> Oh yeah we are going to have two vigils going on.
> One of those vigils will be for a knighting for a squire that has been
> on the journey for some time.  (Read a big deal for many friends)
> The other vigil will also be for someone long deserving.... (Read yet
> another big deal)
> Then of course it is my first Feast so I had let my local friends know
> as well as the Corsairium group that I am a part of and the Acadamie
> D'Espee.
> So what started out as a small local event and very comfortable first
> feast turned into a larger event and still a fairly comfortable first
> feast I am happy to say.
> We started out cooking for 100 people and raised the number 3 days
> before the event to 125 including hightable.  Not a huge deal as I had
> overcompensated in my prepwork by prepping for 120.
>
> Other items of interest for you folks...
> I started out by charging $7.00 a head. but then the autocrat took out
> a breakfast from the feast budget...(Yeah I know I should have stamped
> my little feet but I didn't, I just worked with it...) So we ended up
> at around $6.00 a head for feast.
> (Next time I will stamp my feet)  ;)
> We actually made money for their local group... about $45.00
> I think my total food cost was around $655.00 maybe a bit more or
> less....
> and Breakfast was around $100.00
>
> When I initially agreed to cook the feast we had a site with a fairly
> good kitchen... Indeed a rather good kitchen.  That site fell
> through.  The site that was finally settled on was odd in that it had
> a kitchen but if we rented the kitchen then the site would cook the
> feast... not the SCA.  However we could use the site and use a field
> kitchen and every thing would be fine....
>
> So here I am the young fledgling cook with my first feast, with no
> kitchen, and royals coming.....
> Some quick phone calls and I secured an incredible field kitchen,
> (fantastic would have included the refridgerator, and washing
> station...) ((Hey he had some major flipping house repairs going on as
> it was...))
> So our cooking areas were a 3'x1' 3 burner camp stove (older than I
> am), a turkey fryer unit, 4 flipping huge steel burners and stands of
> [...]
This is totally amazing, especially under the circumstances.  Believe it
or not, we once had a small local event blossom into a Crown Tourney.
Our original cook (had cooked feasts before) backed out saying that they
weren't ready to do a Kingdom event, and another lady from out kingdom
(recently moved in) aqgreed to cook.  She evidently didn't understand
the concept of "period" food, and wanted to serve things like blue corn
tortillas!  The kitchen was a very good one...but she totally blew
it...wound up having screaming fits about half-way through the first
course.  We wound up having to go into the kitchen (we included one lady
who had been on vigil for her Pelican) and get the feast out.  I worked
on cleanup...and have NEVER, in over 26 years in the SCA, seen a bigger
mess.  So you are definitely to be congratulated!

Kiri