[Sca-cooks] Tin Foil and "Salad Cream"

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 29 10:09:00 PST 2004

Question:  Exactly what is "salad cream"?  I found the reference in Terry
Pratchett's _Thief of Time_ so it exists in the UK.  A character in the
book asks "What, what, what is this nonsense of 'salad cream'?"  The
footnote says "If you live in a country where the tradition calls for
mayonnaise, just don't ask.  Just don't."  Okay, so I couldn't resist
asking.  It must be a British substitution for mayo.  Is it like American
salad dressing?  Is it yukky?  And, should I look up this taste treat when
I go to England next spring???

Alys Katharine

It isn't yucky, it isn't quite mayo or dressing, but can be either.  It is a
bit thinner than standard store-bought mayo (I find my homemade mayo to be
thinner most of the time anyway), and thicker than what we buy as prepared
salad dressings (mayo-based ones).  The consistancy of Miracle Whip or a bit
thinner, I'd say.  It can be flavored and is usually served in a cup on the
side of a salad, to be used by the diner as desired.  You could say mayo and
be pretty acurate.
Christianna