[Sca-cooks] Fair feast budget

rtanhil rtanhil at fast.net
Mon Nov 29 13:31:34 PST 2004

WdG wrote:
<snip>
> you can go pretty low, especially if you take advantage of
> supermarket specials on non-perishable or frozen items
> during the months prior to the event

Unfortunately, our group will now only give a cash advance
30 days prior to the feast. I don't know if this is kingdom
policy, general SCA policy, or just our group. Regardless,
it makes shopping ahead hard. I realize that some groups
reimburse rather than advance funds, but I am unable to put
out money for even a small feast ahead of time. Sometimes,
if I see a good deal, say salmon for $3/lb., I will find a
way to front the money and freeze the fish. But often, I
just prowl the sale fliers hoping for the best but budgeting
for the worst. It helps that one of our local stores has
online shopping so you can check your prices while you're
writing up the budget.

<snip>

>If you want to make money on the deal, your best bet is to
> combine those supermarket deals with local foodservice
> distributors (many of them will sell directly to
> non-profit orgs)

But not in New Jersey, I'm afraid. If you have this
available in your area, count your blessings.

<snip>

> make most of your goodies from scratch,

That's one of the biggest budget stretchers I know. Last
event I cooked, Lady Brighid made the breads and I made the
stocks and that saved a lot of money. Since the price of
groceries keeps going up, convenience products are making
less and less frequent appearances on anyone's budgets.

Berelinde