[Sca-cooks] Re: Salad cream

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Nov 29 15:45:51 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Tastewise, I always thought it somewhat reminiscent of Miracle Whip.
>
> If you don't want to buy it, you could make it; here's the Mrs. Beeton's
recipe:

> 4 Hard Boiled Egg Yolks
> 4 tbsp Cream
> 1 tsp Prepared Mustard
> ¼ tsp White Pepper
> Vinegar
> Salt and Cayenne, to taste
>
> Remove the egg shells, and pound the yolks in a mortar to a smooth paste.

Is it just me, or is there something odd about this instruction? I would
think that if one had the yolks from hard boiled eggs, the eggshells would
already have been removed. After all, in MY kitchen, I boilt the eggs,
remove the shells, then remove the white (if that's what I'm going to do) in
order to wind up with the hard-boiled egg yolks....

> Add the other ingredients, except the vinegar, stir well until thoroughly
combined.
> Pour in enough vinegar, a little at a time, to make it the consistency of
cream.
> The mixture will then be ready for use.
>
> This is enough for one moderate-sized salad, according to the site I
plucked this from ...

> Gianotta

Saint Phlip,
CoD