[Sca-cooks] Starter went 'Pffft'

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 16:03:08 PST 2004

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Check the dictionary.  Sour -- to make acid or rancid by fermentation.  In
> making sourdough bread you are making an naturally acidic dough by
> spontaneous fermentation.

And the presence of Lactoblahblahblah bacteria :)  Which is what makes a sourdough a sourdough.

> In the US, when some one says sourdough, one thinks of San Francisco
> sourdough and the great sour tang produced by Lactobacillus sanfrancisco.
> It is a sourdough bread that truly tastes sour.  However, worldwide, the
> flavor of sourdough bread runs a gamut of flavors, some of which don't taste
> very sour (consider Amish Friendship Bread).  The idea that sourdough tastes
> sour comes primarily from the fact that modern commercial sourdoughs contain
> citric acid to fudge the taste of San Francisco sourdough.

So, in short, the original sourdough was...well..sour.  In order to make a sourdough bread, you
need a sour dough...otherwise you're just making pseudo-sourdough, which is just wrong in any
case.

WdG

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.