[Sca-cooks] Steel_Cut Oats

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 14:25:03 PST 2004

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Like roller milling, steel cutting is a 19th Century milling process using
> steel discs to cut grain into fairly uniform pieces.  McCann's is noted for
> their steel cut oats and started taking prizes for them around 1851.
> Information on the history of the process is hard to come by.
>
> Bear

Yeah, I've got a tin of McCann's in my pantry, but even the can doesn't give up any clues as to
when, exactly, they started using the process, or who invented it.  Nice tin and all, but geez...
give a guy a little info.

I've even checked into Milling, to see if I can find a reference to the switch from granite wheels
to steel discs, but have had no luck.  This is going to bother me until i find out when it was
first recorded...

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.