[Sca-cooks] Steel_Cut Oats

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Nov 30 17:42:49 PST 2004

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> --- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Like roller milling, steel cutting is a 19th Century
> > milling process using steel discs to cut grain into
> > fairly uniform pieces.  McCann's is noted for their
> > steel cut oats and started taking prizes for them
> > around 1851.  Information on the history of the
> > process is hard to come by.
> >
> > Bear
>
> Yeah, I've got a tin of McCann's in my pantry, but even
> the can doesn't give up any clues as to when, exactly,
> they started using the process, or who invented it.

> Nice tin and all, but geez... give a guy a little info.

Ouch ... if you ever make cordials (or do any brewing,
for that matter), you will dread hearing the line,

	"Mmmm, ... Nice bottle."  <g>

> I've even checked into Milling, to see if I can find a
> reference to the switch from granite wheels to steel
> discs, but have had no luck.  This is going to bother
> me until i find out when it was first recorded...

Can you find out the name of the company that currently
manufactures the equipment?   They might know the history
of the innovation.

In addition, since it was introduced in the 19th C. ...
Why not search the US Patent and Trademark Office?
http://www.uspto.gov/

Issued Patents (PatFT) (full-text since 1976,
full-page images since 1790)
http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

> William de Grandfort

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick