[Sca-cooks] Zanzarelli

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 1 17:14:20 PDT 2004

I've been experimenting.  Here is the first recipe (from the work of Maestro
Martino) for the Protectorate Feast I am preparing.

Zanzarelli is a rich, spicy egg drop soup with cheese in it.  Margaret and I
both enjoyed it and I will probably make it again some cold Winter
afternoon.  The process took about 10 minutes.

The broth was canned chicken broth.  I did not add salt because it was
already present in the broth.  I will be using broth of my preparation for
the feast, and will be adding salt.  The spices are about 8 months oold and
not as potent as I would like.  I'll be using fresh spices for the feast.
Salting and spicing will be done to taste.

Enjoy,

Bear

Zanzarelli

To make zanzarelli. To make ten platefuls, take eight eggs, half a libra of
grated cheese, and breadcrumbs, and mix these things together. Then take a
pot of meat broth colored yellow with saffron and put it on the fire; and
when it begins to boil put in this mixture and stir with a spoon. And when
it seems to have thickened, then remove the pot from the fire and serve up,
then sprinkle with spices.

Martino, Maestro, Libro de arte coquinaria

20 ounces of broth or stock

2 eggs

1 Tablespoon of grated or shredded romano or parmesan cheese

1 Tablespoon fine breadcrumbs

1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper, cinnamon and ginger, blended

Salt to taste

2 threads of saffron (if desired)

Whisk the eggs in a bowl

Add the cheese and the breadcrumbs and whisk until evenly dispersed and the
mixture thickens.

Put the broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Add the saffron, remove from the heat and let stand for a few minutes to
permit the saffron to color the broth.

Return the broth to the heat and bring to a second boil.

Add the egg mixture and whisk until the ingredients are blended into the
broth. Remove from heat.

Add the spice blend 1/4 teaspoon at a time, whisking them into the broth,
until the desired taste is reached.

Makes 3 cups of soup.

The recipe produces a rich soup similar to egg drop soup.

Adding more cheese and breadcrumbs will thicken the soup,

Spices should be added by taste, as fresh spices may require less than
specified in the recipe.