[Sca-cooks] soups

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 1 22:59:51 PDT 2004

   Lady Elizabeth Dabernoune asked:
> Speaking of soup, and yes we are, I need an Onion Soup recipe for 250
> to 300
> people. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know, stupid question, but
> I need a quick reference, please!
This isn't a stupid question. One choice may be between whether you
want a brown or a white based onion soup.
For some onion soups, check this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
onion-soups-msg   (23K)  4/ 3/02    Period onion soups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/onion-soups-msg.html

For some other soups, see:
soup-msg          (97K)  4/ 3/02    Medieval soups. Cooking soups at
events.
                                        recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/soup-msg.html

I believe this last file has some good info on scaling up soup
quantities and suggestions on cooking them in large quantities.
Especially if you are new to cooking for large groups, you might want
to take a look at some of the files in the FEASTS section.

Some other soup files include:
broths-msg        (72K)  2/17/03    Broths in period recipes.
Substitutions.
gazpacho-msg       (8K)  7/30/01    A soup or sauce of vinegar, garlic
and bread
mustard-soup-msg  (13K)  4/ 3/02    Mustard soup. HE Salaamallah's
version.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas